Immanuel Lutheran Church in St. Paul is seeking an experienced organist/pianist to lead the congregation in song. Major areas of responsibility include:
- Play the organ and piano at Sunday services and other special services.
- Select music aligned to the liturgical style and key messages to create an inspiring and meaningful worship experience for members and visitors
- Accompany weekly musical ensemble rehearsals (including adult, youth, and children’s choirs)
- Select music and rehearse with instrumentalists.
Immanuel Lutheran Church has a rich and diverse experience of music and draws upon talented musicians and vocalists within the congregation.
A full job description can be found below
Status: Part time 0.3 FTE
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter and resume to Chris Cherwien at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed beginning 4/12/2021.
Full job description
Classification: [non-exempt; part-time .3 FTE]
Reports to: Director of Worship and Music
The organist serves as a central figure in providing music for the worship life of the congregation of Immanuel Lutheran Church.
The organist plays the organ and piano to provide music during each scheduled worship service. This includes hymns and liturgy, preludes, postludes, music during an offering, and accompanying choirs and other musical groups or soloists in the service.
- (65%) Prepare and play for two similar Sunday morning services September through May and one service June through August.
- (5%) Prepare and play for extra scheduled services/events including but not limited to those on Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Wednesday evenings during Lent, Holy Week (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil), children’s choir musical.
- (25%) Accompany the adult, youth and children’s choirs in weekly Wednesday rehearsals September through May.
- (5%) Attend planning meetings as necessary with the Worship and Music Director (“Minister of Music”) to carry out a rich and vibrant music ministry for the congregation.
JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ONLINE WORSHIP SERVICES (This applies while the congregation is worshipping virtually with COVID-19 restrictions.)
- Accompany a small group of singers to record the hymns for the online worship services the week prior to the services. (Recordings are made with appropriate safety protocols.)
- Rehearse and record music with instrumentalists for worship services.
- Record music for prelude, postlude and offering time.